9.24.2013

Soup Weather | Potato Leek Soup

With fall officially arriving, we've been experiencing some of those cold days where only soup will do the trick to take the chill out of your bones. Not to mention, soup on football Sundays are like the perfect combo - like peas and carrots, like mac and cheese! So make soup I did. I decided to whip up some potato leek soup, which is one of D's favorite childhood recipes. 
The recipe I used is his mother's family recipe (which is top secret) so I can't share it - but I found one online that is very similar, give or take a few tweaks -- so I feel ok sharing this. D likes it spicy, so I add LOTS of fresh black pepper, but you can season yours to take. Enjoy!

Ingredients
  • 1 large or 2 small leeks, about 1 pound
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 20 black peppercorns
  • 4 sprigs fresh thyme
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 1/2 cup dry white wine
  • 5 cups chicken stock
  • 1 to 1 1/4 pounds russet potatoes, diced
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 3/4 teaspoon white pepper
  • 1/2 to 3/4 cup creme fraiche or heavy cream ( I use cream)
  • 2 tablespoons snipped chives
Directions

Trim the green portions of the leek and, using 2 of the largest and longest leaves, make a bouquet garni by folding the 2 leaves around the bay leaves, peppercorns and thyme. Tie into a package-shaped bundle with kitchen twine and set aside. (Alternately, tie 2 leek leaves, bay leaves, peppercorns and thyme together in a piece of cheesecloth.)
Using a sharp knife, halve the white part of the leek lengthwise and rinse well under cold running water to rid the leek of any sand. Slice thinly crosswise and set aside.
In a large soup pot over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the chopped leeks and cook until wilted, about 5 minutes. Add the wine and bring to a boil. Add the reserved bouquet garni, chicken stock, potatoes, salt and white pepper, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes, or until the potatoes are falling apart and the soup is very flavorful.

Remove the bouquet garni and, working in batches, puree the soup in a food processor or blender. (Alternately, if you own an immersion blender, puree the soup directly in the pot.) Stir in the creme fraiche and adjust the seasoning, if necessary. Serve immediately, with some of the snipped chives sprinkled over the top of each bowl of soup.
Or if you're like me - serve with warm and crusty multi-grain bread. YUM-OOO.
And a nice cold beer. It is football Sunday after all.....
And speaking of beer, I always like trying different local or craft beers. Especially fun fruity or seasonal ones. And especially ones that have cute bottles and logos because I'm a sucker for nice design. I picked up a pack of Dogfish Head Tweason'ale -- that's right -- a special brew for in between the seasons, aka tweason. Which I think I love that word by the way, and plan on incorporating it into my everyday lingo. So the flavor of this one? Strawberries and buckwheat honey. The perfect combination bridging summer and fall. LOVE.

Anyone else been craving soup lately? 
I'm all about it right now!

xo Steph

9 comments:

  1. SMD @ lifeaccordingtostephSeptember 24, 2013 at 10:21 AM

    I love love love potato leek soup.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM, THAT LOOKS DELICIOUS!!
    Jamie
    www.candystilettos.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm potato soup is so great on a cold fall day!

    -Sharon
    The Tiny Heart
    Sept. Group Giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love all soups on cold fall days! : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. me too! it's one of my favorites! thanks for the comments Steph!

    ReplyDelete
  6. yum! Love me some potato soup! That beer also sounds delish. Wheat fruit beers are my favorite! (Ithaca's apricot wheat is one of my favorites!)

    Jenn
    With Luck Blog

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks so good!

    K x

    http://sweetapplelifestyle.blogspot.co.nz/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Making soup has easily become one of my favorite things to cook. I'll have to try your recipe - looks divine!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow soup is my favorite . Thanks guy .

    ReplyDelete

I love getting and reading all your comments and respond to most of them when I can. Love hearing from you all! xo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...